Attention-Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder (AD/HD) is characterized by developmentally inappropriate impulsivity, attention, and in some cases, hyperactivity. AD/HD is a neurobiological disorder that affects three-to-five percent of school-age children.
Unique Challenges in Sports:
- Fails to give close attention to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes.
- Has difficulty sustaining attention.
- Does not appear to listen.
- Struggles to follow through on instructions.
- Has difficulty with organization.
- Is easily distracted.
- Difficulty waiting or taking turns.
- Interrupts or intrudes upon others.
Key Coaching Points:
- Learn best with extra structure and set routine.
- Minimize waiting-in-line type drills or down time.
- Set rules to minimize distractions (i.e. no one talks when coach is talking)